Google+ Nine Red: DIY: Braided Extrension Cords

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

DIY: Braided Extrension Cords

Extension cords, lamp cords, speaker wires....ugh!  Cords are the #1 eyesore and prove to be the most difficult to conceal.  But you know what? What if we just stop trying to hide them, and just make them attractive?  There are a lot of great ideas out there to get this job done.  Especially for situations where you can't hide the cord at ALL because it's holding a lamp from the ceiling.   In the past, chains have always done a decent job of blending cords in, as have home-made fabric covers like this one from A Cup of Glee:
In my home, I often cluster hanging lamps together in groups of 3. Which has tripled my cord problem! Thus far, simply braiding the cords has been my method of tackling them.  I like how it comes out, especially the simple white hemma cord sets from ikea:
But my new favorite, and the DIY for today, is this awesome yarn wrapped & braided extension cord tutorial from Design*Sponge (of-course!):
Sooo awesome! This turns ugly cords into large, attractive - centerpieces almost.  Definitely a focal point and conversation starter, and depending on your colors can be a great accent in a room.  The tutorial on design sponge is for an extension cord, and you'll notice there are female ends at both sides.  I asked why, and she said she needed a splitter at the wall, where it plugs in. Genius! This way when you need power in the room, just pull out this beautiful cord.  It would also look great coiled up under a shelf when not in use. In my opinion, the color combo above, pink, red & orange, would go great in any room!
Surprisingly few materials are needed on this one, the biggest one being time! Head over to design sponge for the full tutorial, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, inspired, and hopefully think about your cordage in a whole new light. I can't wait to try this one myself. Enjoy!

Post a Comment

4 comments:

  1. Now I just need to teach my kids how to do this project, and all my cords will be hidden. Great idea, thanks for sharing. -K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! I know, it does look tedious right? I guess a good movie will pass the time...

      Delete
  2. I just stumbled across your blog. How cool, bright and brilliant! You have so many creative ideas, and not a boring one in the lot. The photo of the blue-green building with the crazy musical gutter pipes is the most awesome thing I have seen in years . . . and I've been around a while. I'm looking forward to following your blog. I'm old enough to be your grandma, but I just might have something on my blog that would interest you . . . come on over for a visit and take a peek. If I could I'd have a cookie jar full of warm baked cookies and some cold milk waiting at the kitchen table. My welcome mat is always out. Grandma Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird, my grandma's name is actually Connie! Small world. Thanks for the great comments! There's a subscribe box on the right if you want to enter your email for updates :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Shareaholic